What is a universal desire? Good skin, good skin, and good skin. But is it that easy to achieve? I mean we were once babies with soft, supple, and radiant skin. Why did we even have to grow up? Beyond the beauty challenges, there are some other aspects of life as well that keep us wondering if we could go back to being a baby again. Enough of the melodrama, we now live in the 21st century and this era does not understand the term “impossible”. All you need to have is knowledge to overcome anything and everything. For example, we face many skin challenges these days, but if only we could understand our skin type and the root causes of those issues coupled with the knowledge of ingredients that fight such concerns, we would end up having flawless skin, I promise.
In this blog, we are going to throw some light on dry skin and skincare steps for dry skin that will help you achieve the soft skin you have been striving for.
What Causes Dry Skin?
So before delving into skincare routines for dry skin, it is important to understand what causes dry skin. A condition like dry skin is medically referred to as Xerosis results from the disturbance in the natural barrier of the skin and its ability to retain moisture. Here are some of the causes that lead to dry skin:
- Less Sebum: Sebum is produced by sebaceous glands in the skin to provide moisture. However excessive secretion of sebum leads to skin issues like acne, blackheads, whiteheads, etc. The usage of certain products and ingredients to regulate their production sometimes causes redundancy that leads to dry skin.
- Medications: Certain medications like retinoids tend to reduce skin moisture and interfere with the maintenance of the natural barrier of the skin leading to dry skin.
- Environmental factors: During the cold season, our skin tends to get dry due to low humidity levels. The skin loses moisture and appears dry and flaky.
- Cleansers and Harsh ingredients: There are some face cleansers and ingredients that can strip the skin of its natural oils. Their regular usage results in dry and flaky skin.
- Hot Showers: Extended hot showers or baths strip away the skin the essential lipids that form the outermost layer of the skin. The hot water reduces the ability of the lipid barrier to retain moisture.
- Dehydration: The most simplest and common cause of dry skin where the skin loses its suppleness due to less water content in the body.
Skincare Routine For Dry Skin - Step-By-Step
Here are complete skin care routine steps for dry skin:
- Step 1: Use a gentle, mild, and hydrating cleanser to remove impurities from the skin. Wash off with lukewarm water.
- Step 2: Apply a hydrating toner to get your skin ready for the upcoming products.
- Step 3: Take a hydrating serum like Hyaluronic acid and apply generously all over the face. This is the game-changer step as it locks in the face moisture and helps maintain the skin barrier.
- Step 4: Use an eye cream to moisturize the area near the eyes and provide additional hydration to that delicate area of the face.
- Step 5: Take a generous amount of moisturizer and apply it on the face and neck. Massage gently for about 30 to 40 seconds.
- Step 6: Top it off with a sunscreen. And reapply every 3 to 4 hours.
Repeat the same skincare steps for dry skin in the evening as well. Replace sunscreen with any treatment (if needed) and exfoliate not more than once a week.
Simply put, dry skin is a condition where your skin lacks water and your natural skin barrier is traumatized by it. Following some proper skincare routines for dry skin, you can get rid of this issue effectively. I highly recommend you visit CosIQ and explore some of the skincare products exclusively for dry skin. It will help you maintain a skincare ritual with defined products in skincare steps for dry skin. Using the right products to address some face concerns is paramount and you can get that easily covered at CosIQ by availing of their free consultation services.